Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure®
On May 8, 2011, a total of 17 Cummings/Riter Consultants, Inc. employees and family members participated in the 19th Annual Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure®. People chose to join the race for many reasons...for their mothers, sisters, co-workers, friends, future children, or even their own future. The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series, the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world, raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, spreads the message that breast cancer is not necessarily fatal if mammography and breast self-exam become routine, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. Since its inception in 1983, the Komen Race for the Cure series has grown from one local Race with 800 participants to a global series of more than 120 Races with more than 1 million people expected to participate in 2011 (with approximately 45,000 from the Pittsburgh area).
Up to 75 percent of the funds raised at the Race remain in the Komen Pittsburgh Affiliate to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.
Our Cummings/Riter participants were overwhelmed by the tens of thousands of participants. "It was very emotional," described one employee. "We were walking with the mass of people and noticed an older couple wearing t-shirts with a picture of their daughter who hadn't survived a bout with cancer, then we saw another group of women walking together wearing fucia pink shirts, meaning that they had won their fight against the disease. It was difficult not to feel overcome by our emotions."
The race has been described as having so much emotion in the air that it's nearly impossible to not be inspired to do as much as you can. While reading the shirts of the race participants with the words "In Memory of" and "In Celebration of," it brought tears to many eyes. Being surrounded by such strong individuals who refuse to let this disease define their lives, brings so much hope. Thanks to all participants for making a difference.